Newsletter Archive

Welcome to the archive page, which provides access to newsletter from 2016/17. If you require a specific back copy of the newsletter, please contact the Community Heritage Coordinator on 01253 476633.

Heritage Blackpool News Issue 20, December 2017

Click here to download a pdf of the complete newsletter

https://drive.google.com/file/d/194qNVehc4_uwc1zO6YO9QKNmJv41Cw8F/view

Highlights from Issue 20:

Festive fun of bygone days
The perfect Christmas Day! Roast turkey with all the trimmings and Christmas pud, followed by a nice snooze.
Then we tidy ourselves for the walk down town for the evening show at the Grand.
What's that? The theatre is closed on Christmas Day?
Ah, but this is 1917 and the town is alive with merriment as residents and visitors make the most of the festivities.

Read the full story, written by Barry Band, by clicking the link above.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=194qNVehc4_uwc1zO6YO9QKNmJv41Cw8F

Also:

The Lifeboats Disaster of 1886

St John's Parish Church - The Early Years

Layton Cemtery: one of Blackpool's hidden gems holding a wealth of history

Christmas Greetings

Changes at the Local and Family History Centre


Blackpool Heritage News Issue 19, September 2017

Click here to download a pdf of the complete newsletter

Heritage Newsletter Issue 19

Highlights from Issue 19:

The Arc Lights

When Blackpool was incorporated as a borough in 1876, Dr W H Cocker was elected as its first mayor. He was described by a fellow Alderman as '...supplying the motive power to make the Municipal wheels turn with celerity'. It was Dr Cocker who in 1878 became 'the leading spirit' in the project for the Blackpool Electric Lights.


Read the full story, written by Louise Thornton, by clicking the link above.


Also:

Heritage Open Days (plus at a glance section)

The Girl in the Spotty Dress

Seaside Silver Screens: Blackpool's Cinema Heritage

Blackpool Victoria Hospital: 1894 - 2017



Blackpool Heritage News Issue 18, February 2017

Click here to download a pdf of the complete newsletter

BHN Issue 18

Highlights from Issue 18:

Stanley Park's 90th Summer

A celebration of the 90th summer will take place on Saturday 8th July, when Edward Stanley 19th Earl of Derby will recreate the moment his Great Grandfather opened the park in 1926. 

Learn more about the opening and the creation of the park in the July newsletter. Article written by Barry Shaw.


Also:

Keeper of Animals and Deckchairs (45th Anniversary of Blackpool Zoo)

Keeping Blackpool Memories Alive (Lancashire Memories)

The Collapse of Redmans

Brooks Memorabilia


Blackpool Heritage News Issue 17, February 2017

Click here to download a pdf of the complete newsletter

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1aYsDGgi3dGWWhSY1hVZnpDLUE


Issue 17 extracts:

Stanley Park Aerodrome

In 1927 Sir Alan Cobham was commissioned by Blackpool Council to recommend a site for the town’s Municipal Aerodrome. Cobham’s chosen site was on land east of Stanley Park owned by Sir John Bickerstaffe and partially occupied by Whinney Heys Farm. The area was acquired by the Corporation for aviation and sports use under the Blackpool Improvement Act 1928.........read more by downloading the newsletter

My Little Stick of Blackpool Rock

Ben Bullock, originally a miner from Burnley, had a sweet stall in Dewsbury market. He began experimenting with his own ideas and eventually created sweets with lettering running right through them..........

Showzam

Blackpool’s festival of circus, magic and live performances, attracting early summer season visitors, comes to Blackpool for four amazing days this February half-term......

The Mystery of the Foudroyant's Anchor

Much has been written in recent years about the wreck of Nelson’s one-time flagship, Foudroyant, at Blackpool in 1897 and of artefacts from it. However, there has been no mention of its anchor, apart from an assertion that it was never recovered.  As we shall see, this was not the case.....


Blackpool Heritage News Issue 16, December 2016

Click here to download a pdf of the complete newsletter

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1aYsDGgi3dGaWpxQ0pFcE5MWTA/view?usp=sharing


A New Life for an Old Blackpool House

 

Beaverbrooks House, an imposing red brick and stone house which has stood on the south side of Newton Drive since the 1890s, has been in the news since summer. Readers might have passed it on the right hand side on the way to busy St. Walburga’s roundabout between Victoria hospital and St. Mary’s School or perhaps have read about it from a double page colour spread in a September edition of The Gazette or even visited one of its friendly Open Days in August.



plus more:
From a whimper and a limp to a song and a dance.
Hangar 42 Lytham St Annes Spitfire Visitor Centre.
Happy Memories of old Blackpool.
Foudroyant a thrilling spectacle.
Comments